Family-Owned and Operated Since 1880
History of Pohl Iron Works
Pohl Iron Works was founded by Edward Pohl. Here's what we have on the history:
Edward Pohl was born on August 26, 1836. He was 29 when he arrived in the United States, May 29, 1866, at Baltimore, Maryland, via "Ship Ocean" out of Bermen Germany. It is shown that he was a blacksmith from Mahren, Moravia. Moravia is now far-eastern Austria. In 1910 Austria expanded east and took some of Czechoslovakia. He stayed in Baltimore for a while.
Edward came to Louisville, Ky, met and married Maria Schele around 1868. Children of Edward and Maria are: Edward, Anthony John, August, Carl, Rose, Mayme and Sophia.
The following is what little we know about the lineage of the company:
The original location is not known, the company could have started in the late 1860's by Edward Pohl. The known location was in the back of 618 E. Jefferson St. Louisville, Ky. The known year was 1880.
At one time, Edward's sons, Anthony, August, Carl and Edward working in the shop. Edward died and Carl and August left the business. Only Anthony John remained. Later he was joined by his son, Anthony Edward. Brother Eugene joined sometime after that with Arnold joining after the war. Eugene left the company and Anthony and Arnold become equal partners.
The company moved to it's present location of 901 E. Main St. around 1938. They incorporated on July 5th, 1962. Anthony retired in 1975 and sold his interests to Rodney D. Pohl, Arnold's son. They ran the business until Arnold's retirement and Rodney bought Arnold's interest.
Owner Rodney Pohl retired in January of 2016, leaving Jim Nantz as foreman, Rob Baker as head welder and Nancy Pohl, administrator to run the business. At the same time of Rodney's retirement, his son, Travis joined the company. Travis is the 5th generation Pohl to work in the company!